Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) will allow you to search for material available in the Main Library. We use Alice for Windows software to maintain our OPAC.
Inter Library Loan Service
Inter Library Loans allows to borrow and lend books from other libraries on mutual co-operation. Academics and research workers from other university libraries are given the ILL facilities on request. Inter-Library Loan code for Sri Lanka University Libraries accepted by the UGC/SCOLIS is followed for maintaining the uniformity of the process.
Please download and complete the ILL Form and forward the completed form to “email@example.com“.
The Resource Centre for the Visually Impaired
The Resource Centre for the Visually Impaired was ceremonially opened on 23rd February 2018 at the Main Library premises. The Vice-Chancellor, University of Colombo, graced the occasions as the Chief Guest. This resource center is equipped with special instruments such as Braille Display, DAISY Digital Talking Book Player, Portable Digital Video Magnifier which can be used for the academic work of visually impaired users.
The Resource Centre for the Visually Impaired is located at the 1st Floor of the Main Library.
Laptop Lending Service
University of Colombo Main Library is pleased to offer laptop computers equipped with wireless access to students for use in the Library only. These laptops are configured to provide you with the same functionality as the other networked Library computers, thus you may search the Internet, type your papers and print documents. The following policies govern the use of laptops, please read carefully:
- Laptops can be checked out only by currently enrolled University of Colombo students by presenting a valid University ID card and by signing the laptop lending book at the E-Recourse Center. Library laptops are intended for university-related use.
- Laptops are to be used in the Library only for a maximum of 4 consecutive hours at a time. All laptops should be returned to the E-Resource Center one hour before closing time to provide the Library staff time to check the condition of the equipment and to charge the batteries. Laptop check-out will stop Two hour before the Library closes.
- Laptops are available on a first come, first served basis. Users cannot reserve a laptop.
- Laptops should not be left unattended.
- Users must return the laptops to the E-Resource Center with hand-off to a staff member prior to leaving the Library; Laptops are not be left on any unattended counter and are considered the responsibility of the student until a staff member signs them returned.
Learning Commons is the area where students can engage in small or large group discussions. It can also be used to practice presentations. If you need any equipment like multimedia projectors and a screen, please make a prior request to Mr. N. Karannagoda, Assistant Librarian/Systems (firstname.lastname@example.org) having his office on the 1st floor.
The Photocopying service operated in the library is located at the right side of the entrance of the main library. Similar services are available in other faculty library premises as well. The service operates on concessionary basis and priority is given for the library materials.
Conference Hall facilities
Conference Hall consists of 150 seats in air-conditioned environment with 20 personal computers, multimedia projector, recording and editing facilities and a public addressing system. When it is not being used as a seminar/training room, it serves as a lab, similar to the other e-resources centers in the library.
The cloak room is located at the rear of the library close to gymnasium and student canteen. Readers are kindly requested to submit cloaks, coats, umbrellas, all printed materials other than library books, files, folders etc. to cloak room counter and obtain ticket to reclaim the possessions back. No articles of any value should be kept at the cloakroom. The library holds no responsibility for any losses.