Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) will allow you to search for material available in the Main Library. The Library uses the KOHA Library Management System to maintain the OPAC
User Education Programs
The Library conducts many programs for students such as information searching tools, database retrieval, basic IT skills, information organization, similarity checking, etc. Apart the library conducts special “Information and Skill Development” programs on request.
Contact the library for more information:
TP: 0112 586 432,
The library initiated a helpline service during the pandemic season and this service is still active as students always seek for various help from the library.
This service consists of two options
- “Request Articles”- Students of the university can request the required articles from the library after providing the necessary details.
- Request for Articles: Click Here
- “Other Help”- Allows students to ask for any help related to the library when they are unable to physically come to the library.
- Other Help: Click Here
The library is equipped with an E-Resource center that consists of 30 computers. This facility can be utilized by any library user and opens from 8.00a.m to 6.00p.m both Weekdays and Weekends.
Learning Commons is the area where students can engage in small or large group discussions. It can also be used to practice presentations. If you need any equipment like multimedia projectors and a screen, please make a prior request to Mr. N. Karannagoda, Senior Assistant Librarian/Systems (email@example.com) having his office on the 1st floor.
Inter Library Loan Service
Inter Library Loans allows to borrow and lend books from other libraries on mutual co-operation. Academics and research workers from other university libraries are given the ILL facilities on request. Inter-Library Loan code for Sri Lanka University Libraries accepted by the UGC/SCOLIS is followed for maintaining the uniformity of the process.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Resource Centre for the Visually Impaired
The Resource Centre for the Visually Impaired was ceremonially opened on 23rd February 2018 at the Main Library premises. The Vice-Chancellor, University of Colombo, graced the occasions as the Chief Guest. This resource center is equipped with special instruments such as Braille Display, DAISY Digital Talking Book Player, Portable Digital Video Magnifier which can be used for the academic work of visually impaired users.
The Resource Centre for the Visually Impaired is located at the 1st Floor of the Main Library.
Conference Hall facilities
Conference Hall consists of 150 seats in air-conditioned environment with 20 personal computers, multimedia projector, recording and editing facilities and a public addressing system. When it is not being used as a seminar/training room, it serves as a lab, similar to the other e-resources centers in the library.
Contact Assistant Registrar at the library for more details.
24x 7 Free wi-Fi to our library visitors.
Free wi-fi facility is available at the library building. You can explore the library online resources as well as other external resources using the wi-fi facility.
For WiFi Username and Password please contact: email@example.com
Laptop Lending Service
University of Colombo Main Library is pleased to offer laptop computers equipped with wireless access to students for use in the Library only. These laptops are configured to provide you with the same functionality as the other networked Library computers, thus you may search the Internet, type your papers and print documents. The following policies govern the use of laptops, please read carefully:
- Laptops can be checked out only by currently enrolled University of Colombo students by presenting a valid University ID card and by signing the laptop lending book at the E-Recourse Center. Library laptops are intended for university-related use.
- Laptops are to be used in the Library only for a maximum of 4 consecutive hours at a time. All laptops should be returned to the E-Resource Center one hour before closing time to provide the Library staff time to check the condition of the equipment and to charge the batteries. Laptop check-out will stop Two hour before the Library closes.
- Laptops are available on a first come, first served basis. Users cannot reserve a laptop.
- Laptops should not be left unattended.
- Users must return the laptops to the E-Resource Center with hand-off to a staff member prior to leaving the Library; Laptops are not be left on any unattended counter and are considered the responsibility of the student until a staff member signs them returned.
The Photocopying service operated in the library is located at the right side of the entrance of the main library. Similar services are available in other faculty library premises as well. The service operates on concessionary basis and priority is given for the library materials.
The cloak room is located at the rear of the library close to gymnasium and student canteen. Readers are kindly requested to submit cloaks, coats, umbrellas, all printed materials other than library books, files, folders etc. to cloak room counter and obtain ticket to reclaim the possessions back. No articles of any value should be kept at the cloakroom. The library holds no responsibility for any losses.
Last Updated on November 27, 2023 by Main Library