The Library Network of the University of Colombo consists of the Main Library and two branch libraries. The Main Library, which occupies a six-storied building that is situated between the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Arts, has its entrance at the Reid Avenue. This library caters for the Faculties of Arts, Education, Graduate Studies, Law and Management and Finance. The two branch libraries are located in the Faculties of Medicine and Science.
The library of the Medical College, which is the second oldest medical library in Asia, was founded in 1870, the same year that the Medical Faculty was inaugurated. It is housed on the first floor of the administration building of the faculty, with the seating capacity of about 160. This medical library is the focal point of the Health Literature Libraries and Information Services (HELLIS) Network and privileged as the WHO depository library in the country. The library of the Faculty of Science is located in the Ground floor of the renovated physics building, close to the Dean’s office of the faculty. This library, which has the seating capacity of 150, consists of Permanent Reference section, Reference section, Reading room, Lending section, Periodicals section and a computer room.